Organise your trip to Montpellier

Visa requirement

A student visa is essential for non-European students coming to study in France. It authorises you to enter the French territory. It should be requested long before your arrival in France, once you have been provisionally enrolled in a university or school. Find all the information about the different types of student visa and how to get them in this page.

Do you need a visa?

- You do not need a visa if you are a citizen of a European Union country (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom) or Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Monaco or Andorra.

- You do not need a visa if you are coming to France to study for less than three months and are a citizen of one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Barbados, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Darussalam, El Salvador, Guatemala, the Holy See, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Montenegro, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, United States, Uruguay and Venezuela.

- If the above does not apply to you:

You must obtain a student visa before arriving in France.

- If you live in Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo-Brazzaville, Gabon, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Japan, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Mexico, Morocco, Peru, Russia, Senegal, South Korea, Syria, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, United States, Vietnam:

You must contact the CampusFrance office in your country to enrol in a French university. Once you have provisionally enrolled, your student visa application will be tracked by the CampusFrance office.
See contact details for CampusFrance offices worldwide

- If you live in another country:

You must fill out an application form at the French Consulate (or the visa department of the French Embassy) in your country to apply for a visa. When collecting the application form, the list of documents to be provided will be given to you.
List of French embassies and consulates abroad

The main documents to be provided

- Your passport. Your passport should be valid for the duration of the requested visa.
- Proof of registration or provisional enrolment at a higher education institution.
- Proof of sufficient financial resources to live in France for the entire period. French law requires a monthly minimum of 600 euros. If you have been awarded a scholarship, you must present a certificate stating the amount and duration of the scholarship.

Other documents may be requested depending on the country.

Note: You may be refused a visa even if you have been provisionally enrolled in an institution and have provided evidence of sufficient financial resources.

You can also visit this website.