Tips for your first installation

Working in France:

A foreign student with a valid ‘Student’ residence permit can work in France subject to the same pay and conditions as other employees but with a limit of 60% of the statutory annual working time, that is, 964 hours per year.

Social Security registration:

Registration occurs at the educational institution at the time of administrative enrolment. It is mandatory for non-European students.

To qualify for ‘student social security’, students must be under 28 years old and enrolled in an approved institute of higher education for at least four months.

Students over 28 years qualify, under certain conditions, for universal healthcare coverage (Couverture Médicale Universelle – CMU) and therefore pay a specific annual contribution to the state health insurance office (Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie).

For other students, personal health insurance must be taken out with a private insurance company (between €150 and €550).

Students from the European Economic Area are exempt if they hold, for the entire academic year, a European health insurance card (or a provisional certificate).